Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Food

Before I got pregnant, I was extremely good about what I ate. Low sodium. Nothing, or next to nothing, processed or packaged. No hydrogenated oil. No cereal for breakfast--only something fresh, like oatmeal, pancakes made from scratch, fruit, yogurt, eggs on toast, etc. I looked and felt great.

Then I got pregnant. I no longer looked or felt great. I looked like death warmed over, and I felt like dog chow. My 7lb first trimester weight loss caused me to go from, "Hey, what healthy food can I have today?" to "I guess I should eat. What would taste the best coming back up?"

My good eating habits went, well, the same way my puke did--completely down the drain. I had a good excuse, and I must have been doing something right, because my daughter somehow turned out perfectly healthy.

My excuse, however, no longer exists. I am not pregnant, I am not barfing, I am not desperately trying to gain weight so I don't lose my baby. I am Back. To. Normal.

Which means that the package of Oreos I consumed BY MYSELF last week probably doesn't cut it anymore as a "caloric punch."

I have excellent intentions, and at times, I act on them, remembering how good I felt when I was eating well. I now get all my eggs, beef, chicken and pork from an organic farm. Summer is in full swing, which means our garden is producing overtime. And I am almost getting enough sleep to see straight enough to cook something. Almost.

And yet...

Yesterday we had Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

Today we had Subway for lunch.

In the last 4 days, I have consumed 3 sodas, a beverage I swore off completely when I had to give up caffeine altogether. (They weren't caffeinated, don't worry. I have kept to that. Well, except when I'm driving on 2 hours of sleep. Not that I ever do that these days.)

Frailty, thy name is woman. Or at least nursing woman who is too tired/lazy to revert back to when, you know, I had to actually prepare my food.

I'm trying to get back on the wagon, and hopefully I will be there soon. In the meantime, um, anybody up for some Oreos?

I won't tell my nephrologist if you don't.

1 comment:

Bmaddny said...

Indeed, diet is the worst part. I was just talking to my mother about this, because food has some kind of emotional hold on you. When I can't enjoy eating, I get depressed. I live with the motto "all things in moderation." I'll cheat a very, VERY little each day. But the rest of the time I'm good. So go ahead and have a couple oreos, i say! Just don't eat the whole bag!! :)