Saturday, July 05, 2008

Now maybe I can do headstands without having a stroke

Last weekend, a friend of mine tried to teach me a new yoga move.

Headstands.

She made it look simple. Just interlock your hands, squeeze your head with them, and then straighten your legs. Viola--head stand.

Now, I don't mean to be a pain in the butt young whipper snapper, but this woman has some years on me. I figured if she could do it, I could do it.

Oh how very very wrong I was.

After almost knocking over everything in sight with my flailing legs, I stood up, laughing a bit, flushed in my face. And my heart was racing.

5 minutes later, it was still racing. Faster.

I turned to my new friend and said, "Wow, what a work out! Is that stuff supposed to make your heart race?"

My friend look at me, puzzled, and said, "No. Not unless you have high blood pressure, or something."

Oh, yeah, that. Forget to mention that yes, I do have high blood pressure, oh, and um, it has been a few days since I've taken my meds because I'm currently on vacation and sorta forgot to pack them and I always run a little high at night and I'm supposed to be on a different medication entirely because my old meds aren't exactly doing the trick and I've lost 30% of my kidney function in 2 years and I should have gotten off my old meds ages ago only I didn't because I like nursing my baby because hey, she's awfully cute and did I mention how fun it was to learn how to do a headstand?

Well, nothing like a night spent wondering if you are going to stroke out in the morning to make a gal hightail it to the pharmacy for a little sumthun' sumthun'.

The good news is that my BP is in the low 120s/80s, and my new medication costs $8 less.

The bad news is that I still suck at headstands.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

Yeah, I keep forgetting the blood pressure issue that comes along with the kidney disease. It sucks to think that I should not ride a roller coaster again. My wife hates them and I'm not supposed to ride them? Who will teach my kid to love them?

Argh.