Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Summer is over. Time to get moving.

School starts next week. Does it make me a bad mom to say that I can't wait?

DH wants us to run a half marathon at the end of November. I agreed, and in typical fashion, my husband proceeded to print out an entire traning schedule so that we will be ready in 3 months. His enthusiasm is catching, so I got up yesterday morning, and we tagged team with the kids while we each took our turns running the 3 miles the training schedule said we should.

I'm sure my husband ran the whole time, and probably went a little farther than 3, just for good measure.

Yeah, um, I didn't quite make it to 3 miles. And I'm hurtin'. Boy, am I ever.

It's frustrating, actually. I used to run 3 miles, no sweat. I even got to the point where I understood the runner's high, the feeling that you could go forever, and that you would actually enjoy doing it. It's just as awesome as everybody says it is.

Totally NOT feeling that today. Or yesterday. I'm very far from where I used to be. Blech.

My only hope is that I can get to where I was quicker than I think. That if I perservere, this half marathon will be no sweat. Yeah, that's what I told myself this morning when my quadriceps groaned in protest as I got out of bed.

Oh, but I have a long way to go.

Side note: Some people have asked how they can donate to the PKD walk, which will happen on Sept 20th. I've been a little swamped with internet stuff lately, and I haven't gotten around to setting up my online donation site. I appreciate so much everybody's interest and support. I'll let you know where and when you can sponsor our family's team. Thanks again!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm TOTALLY rootin' for you! You can do it. I actually love the "sore" feeling, atleast you know you're getting your muscles into shape. I admire people that go out and run these races. Someday I'll join you.

Rob Monroe said...

You're just shy of three miles more than I have run in the last....30 years! Good luck with the training!