Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Renting Bodies

Ok, this post is not as kinky as that title might sound. It comes from a thought I was having the other day after I ran for 2 miles for the first time in since, oh, I don't know, ever. I am on a new training program to run an 8 mile race in September, mostly because I feel like if dialysis and a kidney transplant are in my future, I would like to get the most out of my body before it quits, or before my activities are at least severely restricted. So, I'm running. And hurting.

The other day, when I literally thought there was no way I was going to be able to get out of bed, my husband came bounding into the room to get me up. I looked at his happy face, his golden retriever-like attitude (he is a morning person--I am not. Something we didn't discover until we got married, which is a good thing, because if we had known before, it might have been a deal breaker!), and thought, "Hey, I want his legs today. Can't I just rent them?"

And as I sat there in my comfy cocoon of covers, contemplating the pain that awaited me if I ever did choose to move, I thought, "You know, renting bodies could be seriously convenient. I wonder if anybody would ever just rent me their kidneys? Must be a futures market in there somewhere."

Note: I don't actually understand fully what a 'future's market' means, but it is something DH talks about all the time in terms of buying and selling body parts (macabre, I know, but there you go). Still, it sounds intelligent.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is, I'm running, I'm trying to get the most out of my body as long as it has something to give, and right now, it ain't givin' much. I would love to have somebody else's legs to do it for me. And heart. And lungs. And flat abs, for that matter. Heck, as long as we're going there, maybe I should get somebody else's boobs, just to see what it would be like to actually have some. Oh, the possibilities....

It's going to be a long 8 miles.

1 comment:

M.A. said...

Wow. A futures market in body parts. Macabre indeed. But I like the idea