Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Even the doctor was impressed

I saw my new nephrologist today, and I think I like her. What a relief! I would hate to have to search for another one, or have to drive an hour to get to somebody I like. She seemed to have a handle on PKD, and even mentioned other patients she has treated with PKD, so at least she's seen this before.

We chatted about my history, my diagnosis, how to proceed, etc,etc. Then she did my physical exam, and palpated my kidneys.

"Wow", she said.

"Yes, they're big," I explained. She just nodded.

I don't think that was a good "wow", like "Wow, you are incredibly fit I'm so impressed by your physical prowess", or even, "Wow, you're outfit is so unbelievable coordinated I'm thinking of hiring you as a my fashion guru." I think it was more like a "Wow, your kidneys are so big I'm considered writing the words 'Freak of Nature' in your chart after you leave."

Not exactly something you want a doctor to say.

Still, she seemed calm, and told me to come back in January. Things are ok now, but she did point out that I'm young, and, well, I have a long way to go.

"Keep those kidneys from getting any bigger, okay?" she said as she walked out the door.

Oh, if only I knew how to do that. Clearly, she hustled out of there because she, too, has no clue how to stop the madness.

Oh well. At least I got a "wow".

1 comment:

Juniper said...

Hi. I know you wrote these posts years ago, but I just started from the beginning of your blog. I'm sure at some point I'll go into my story, but the short version is I have PKD and most of my family does so it feels like it's always been a part of my life. I was just wondering if it bothered you when your doctor told you to keep them from getting bigger? It bothers me and no one even said it to me. I'm not mad, just annoyed that people say things like that because, as you say, it's not like you have any REAL control over it. Mine are also very large, my nephrologist is also "impressed" by them, enough to bring in students in training to feel them. Oddly enough that doesn't bother me. I hope it teaches them that there are things out there that are not normal, but that it's good to know about. And my doctor's demeanor is good too, teaching these students that although large kidneys may not be something they see every day, it's important to be professional and respectful of the patients that have them. Not all excited at this new strangeness that may be interesting to them, but is a way of life for me. Sorry for the mini-rant. Lots of things going on for me right now so I'm kind of emotional about this stuff. Trying to learn more about other people's experiences so maybe I can work through my own stresses. I really like your blog so far. Thanks for putting it out there.