Friday, August 31, 2007

M&Ms and PKD

When I was a teenager, one of my first school fundraisers was selling M&Ms. I have no idea what we were trying to raise funds for, but nevertheless, the principle pulled us all into the auditorium to try and get us PUMPED! to sell candy. He promised us loads of goodies, if we could just move those little pieces of chocolate that melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

I think I sold 2 boxes. One to my mother, one to my grandparents.

In high school, for our choir fundraiser, we sold Easter candy. Now this stuff was high quality--definitely a step above M&Ms. I sold a few more than 2 boxes, this time actually hitting the pavement and guilting people at church.

I discovered that the little Easter bunnies we sold not only melted in your mouth, and your hands, but that they turned into rivers of liquid chocolate if left in the back seat of a subaru parked in the highschool parking all day in Utah heat.

Bottom line--I stink at fundraising.

That said, I am combining fundraising with something I think I am good at--blogging--(yes, I just admitted I am good at blogging, which is almost as pathetic as admitting you are really good at the claw game at the mall), and hoping that any and every person reading this blog will help join me in the fight against PKD by donating to the Walk for PKD, being held on September 15th. You can click here to donate to my family's team.

PKD affects so many people, and it isn't something that just stops with the person who has it. It is a genetic disease that can be passed on to the next generation, which, in a lot of ways, is what scares me the most. I'm okay with needing a kidney transplant, but I just can't imagine watching my kid get one, too.

So help us out, click on the link above, and donate today. There are many of you who unexpectedly sponsored me last year, and I can't tell you what that meant to me. Dh and I are not rich, and I know what it feels like to have every penny count. So, for those of you who donated last year, thanks.

Sorry, there are no M&Ms or Easter candy as a reward for your donation. But given my track record with those things, it's probably all for the best.

No comments: