Monday, September 17, 2007

Walkin' along

The walk was last weekend, and it was really great. We had more people than last year, and the weather cooperated, with only a slight drizzle that kept it cool enough to walk. All in all, it was a very pleasant day.

I got to chat with some other walkers, and met some people who don't have PKD. They were just walking to help out.

This, my friends, blows my mind.

I was/am not much of an activist before my diagnosis, and the only charitable event I ever really participated in was the Race for The Cure, the 5k held around the country to raise money for breast cancer. My mother likes to be involved in this, as she has a sister who is a breast cancer survivor, but DH and I did it mainly because it's a fun 5k to run. We never got pledges, or sponsors, or teams. We just signed up, paid our $25 registration fee, ran our race, and walked home. And we wear the T-shirts we got as pajamas.

But then I meet people who are willing to take time out of their own lives, and put forth effort towards eradicating a disease that doesn't even really directly affect them, and I am humbled. I am so grateful that there are people like this in the world, and it puts my lack of charitable involvement to shame.

So I give a big THANKS to everybody who pulled together to make this walk a success, to my donors and sponsors, and especially those people who didn't have to do it, who would be perfectly justified in looking the other way and shrugging while they say, "It's not my problem".

It's not your problem. Thanks for taking it on anyway.

No comments: