Monday, January 21, 2008

I was a lion today

And I ate a zebra. Boy was it delicious.

Ok, in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, I am referring to the advice that Dr. Steinman gave me regarding vegetarianism. He said if you are going to eat meat, do it like a lion, a predator who will gorge and overfeed on a zebra, and then not eat for days, weeks, possibly. Tonight I cooked up some burgers for my boys, but not just any burgers. This is the beef I get from a farm in the Shenandoah Valley, from a farmer who grass feeds his cows in the way nature intended. And if you think there is no difference between a grass fed, "salad bar" beef hamburger and beef from a cow that eats primarily corn (which is what most cows eat in our country while they are crammed into feed lots, but I won't go into that because that's a rant for another day) then you haven't tasted this stuff. It's excellent. While my husband tried to surpress his sighs of gustatory pleasure, I looked at my pathetic little Boca burger with slumped shoulders.

Then my son neglected to finish his burger. And I pounced.

I am lion, here me roar.

Tomorrow we'll go back to eating chickpeas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read this article and would very much like to know what you doctor said about vegetarianism.

Im 29, male, live in Los Angeles and have been diagnosed with PKD but have not been able to get any suggestions regarding vegetarianism.

Please tell me what you know! Thanks!