Sunday, November 06, 2011

House MD

PKD was mentioned TWICE this season.

(Season 6, that is. I'm catching up through episodes on Itunes.)

But how cool is that?

The first time, the patient didn't have PKD because no UTIs or flank pain. I yelled at the screen, "I've never had a UTI in my life! HA! So much for YOUR diagnostic skills!"

What? They can totally hear me.

The second time, creatnine wasn't elevated and kidneys weren't palpable. I thought, "Oooooh, much better than no UTIs or flank pain. Palpable kidneys--much cooler diagnostic decision."

I'm told that in a later episode,one of the doctors tries to con a patient out of a kidney by pretending SHE has PKD. I am kinda giddy with anticipation.

Like, HEY! If my disease is referenced on a hit TV medical series, we've totally made it.

Now all we need is a color. You know, how breast cancer is pink, diabetes is blue, AIDS is red, um, and I think there's a yellow ribbon, but I have a feeling that's like, for troops and stuff.

Still, if we get a color AND a hit TV show, we are well on our way to being one of the sexy diseases. Seriously.

5 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Really funny - my wife has done the same thing with some shows and their "diagnosis" of thyroidism. I don't watch much in the way of medical shows (outside of Scrubs, RIP) so I do not have much opportunity to look for kidney stuff!

Maybe in honor of your crazy kidneys we don't need a certain-color, we just need a REALLY LARGE ribbon - bigger than all the others. :)

Anonymous said...

We do have a color...teal. The PKD Foundation gives away/sells the rubber Livestrong-style bracelets in the teal blue color.

Anonymous said...

the color for PKD is teal

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if, as the kidney and liver cysts get really large, indigestion and gastric reflux can result because the large kidneys and liver are pushing on the stomach??

Heather O. said...

Teal? Wow, I never knew. Cool!